Northern Kentucky has some of the best farmers’ markets in the United States and they are really great places to take children. When kids see fresh food that could grow in their own back yards, it affects them and makes the fruits and vegetables more fun to eat. Some kids don’t even know where food comes from or haven’t really taken the time to think about it. Farmers’ markets make the food and the process real for kids and if you can get them to help grow some tomatoes or cucumbers in your own garden, they are even more amazed. “You mean french fries come potatoes that are grown in the ground?!” As we are fighting childhood obesity there are few better ways help kids eat more healthy.
Some Reasons to Shop at a Farmers’ Market
- Freshly picked, in season produce is at its peak in flavor and nutrition.
- Fresh fruit and vegetables are full of antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- It’s a great way to get your kids involved in putting food on the table
- Farmers markets offer foods that align with MyPlate guidelines.
- Farmers often have recommendations for preparing their products.
- You can try a new fruit or vegetable!
- SNAP and WIC benefits are accepted at some farmers markets.
- Support your local farmers and economy.
Some Local Farmers’ Markets…
Boone County Farmers’ Market | View
Campbell County Farmers’ Market | View
Grant County Farmers’ Market | View
Covington Farmers’ Market | View
Independence Farmers’ Market | View
USDA Farmers’ Market Directory | View
Contact Us (859-525-8181) if you have any questions about your child’s nutritional needs!
About Pediatrics of Florence
We believe that children are more than just “little adults.” They have unique personalities, challenges, and life circumstances and we have made every effort to make our offices and care as “kid friendly” as possible. We have an aquatic theme in the waiting rooms (separated for sick and well children) as well as themed examination rooms. All of our physicians are Board Certified Pediatricians and members of the American Academy of Pediatrics and our nurse practitioners are all licensed Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and are available to see both well and sick children.
>> More About Pediatrics of Florence