Stomach aches are incredibly common in children. the number one cause is constipation. There are many things that can cause your child to become constipated.
Your child may ignore the urge to have a bowel movement because they’re too busy playing to stop and go, or may not be comfortable using a public restroom. They may fear a painful bowel movement or have issues with potty training.
Low Dietary Fiber
Fiber keeps the bowels moving, but many kids don’t eat enough fruits, vegetables, and grains.
Not Enough Fluids
Water and other liquids help fiber do its job.
Certain medicines, including pain medicines and antacids, can cause constipation in kids.
How To Help Your Kids Stay Regular…
- Stay Hydrated – Drink roughly half your body weight in fluid ounces of water.
- Avoid Constipating Foods – Dairy products and too many bananas for instance.
- Fiber – Eat fiber-rich foods like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, peas, berries, avocados and legumes.
- Slow Down – Sit down to a restful social meal with family. eating too quickly and always being on the go can lead to digestive distress.
- Flaxseed – Flaxseed can help with constipation and is a great source of fiber. Just one tablespoon sprinkled on cereal or mixed in a smoothie will help.
- Exercise – Move your body. Go for a walk or take your kids to a playground. Body movement can lead to gut movement.
- Fermented Food – Studies show fermented foods like sauerkraut, yogurt or Korean Kimchi are full of probiotics that can help keep things moving.
- Supplement When Necessary – Sometimes doing a fiber supplement, probiotic supplement, and use of Miralax when constipated can be helpful.
- Make It a Habit – Get your child into the habit of regular bowel movements. Have them try for at least 10 minutes two times a day. After a meal is a good time.